Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our Church

Kevin and I have a wonderful church. I brag about our church all the time. So, I thought I'd blog about it for a minute.

Kevin had already been going to Open Door before I moved up here. When I would come up and visit the people I met were wonderful and always made me feel that I was welcome and even an "honorary" part of the church the weekends I would visit. There are people who I know from my college days who are members of our church. However, when I moved up here I was prepared to talk with Kevin about the need for us to find a church together and not me just go to the church because he was already there.

The thing was, the more I went to the church and heard Pastor Dwayne preaching I liked the church more and more. I got involved in the church and grew to love it more and more.

Now, Kevin and I work in the nursery some. I coordinate nursery one Sunday/Wednesday every other month. We are in an amazing care group that loves hanging out with each other and prays for each other and with each other often.

The pastor isn't afraid to teach the Word of God no matter how offensive it might be.

However, the most amazing thing about our church is this: it is the closest thing to the New Testament church I have ever seen. Since I've been at our church, we experienced a tragedy. The way our church responded was amazing. One of the couples moved out of their home to give the family a place to go. People brought food. Others sat and listened and cried and prayed with the family. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. No one stood around and said, "What can I do?" or "Let me know if you need anything." Everyone just did. Half the time I felt like I was sitting around with my mouth open in awe of what was going on. It was absolutely amazing. I'm still in awe of the church we are privileged to be a part of.

I just wanted to share with you guys the awesome place that we call "home." If you're in the area, we'd love for you to join us. If you're not, come visit. You'll be glad you did. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kayte, I guess my wording was confusing. I had the screen at 18 weeks and passed it. Then I had it again at 28 weeks and failed that one. Therefore, I had to go in for the 3 hour test where they stick you 4 times but I passed that one. That is why I have been tested 3 times this pregnancy and I am tired of it and glad it is all over! I hope your "sugar" levels off because I have had friends who have had GD and they say it is the pits!!!

Parkison Family said...

Hi Kayte, Thanks for commenting on the blog. Yours looks great as well! I am glad you guys are happy at Open Door and i hope you guy's seminary experience is a great one! Maybe one day we can meet up for coffee!!!

Ronnica said...

I'm glad that you stuck around! I love Open Door, too, and have since I pulled into the parking lot for the first time three years ago (I'm not really big on being led by "feelings" but I already was pretty convinced this was where I was supposed to be, and nothing since this has discouraged that!).

I'm glad that you found my website. I'll look forward to updates on little Kayden!

Nena said...

I enjoyed visiting your church also. Everyone made me feel very welcome. Listening to you describe the people at your church puts my mind at ease. I'm glad you and Kevin found a place that open their arms to you and will be there for anything that may come up (good or bad). I love you. Mom