Friday, August 1, 2008

What do you do?

This seems to be a common question when getting to know someone. There seem to be standard questions that we ask when meeting someone new.
1. Where are you from?
2. Who is your family?
3. Where do you go to church/school?
4. What do you do?

My answer to the last question always gets several different responses.
1. Oh, so you're like a priest or something?
2. Oh, that must be hard working around death all the time.
3. I could never do your job.

No, I am not a priest or a preacher. I have never felt called to preach, and maybe one day I'll blog about my reasons for that. But for now, know that that is not my calling. That is my husband's calling. :) However, I do feel like my ministry calling is to sit with patients and families as they ponder what it means to move from this life to the afterlife. This is a sacred journey--one that I do not take lightly.

Which leads me to the second statement. Yes, my job is hard...but if you can show me an absolutely easy job, then let me know. I love what I do. Yes, I do work with people who are dying, but not everyday. In fact, it's been a while since someone has died on my patient list. However, I have come to realize that death is as much a part of life as birth is. The Bible even tells us that "And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment" Hebrews 9:27. Now, the hard part of what I do does come in that last part of this verse. I do meet people who when I hear their story (either through them or their family) and hear that they "were a good person" or they "grew up in church but haven't been in many many years" and I know that they are not going to be going to heaven, but unless they ask me I cannot say that to them. But for the most part, I get to have amazing conversations with people.

The last statement is my absolutely favorite response. I love it when people tell me that they could never do my job. The RN's at the hospital used to tell me that when I was doing my residency. My response was always, "well, I can't do your job either." Isn't it great that we don't all have the same gifts, talents and callings? If everyone could do my job then why would I be needed? I'm glad that I am called to do what I do for this season in life. I say that because I hope that once Kevin graduates and gets into active duty that I can then do my ultimate calling and raise my children at home. :)

So, what do you do?

1 comment:

Nena said...

I truly understand how you feel. I hear that a lot of times about my job also. As you know I am a teacher, not just a teacher, but a "special needs" teacher. And like you, I LOVE my job. I believe God put me into teaching because I believe that "ALL CHILDREN" can learn no matter what their disabilities are. And we all have our own disabilities. The one pet peeve I have is that people will say "It takes a special person to do what you do". Well I am trying to change my attitude about that. Yes, it does take a "special person" & God thinks I am that "special person".

You are a special person also and the people you see and touch with your wonderful personality will always be thankful for your ability to minister to them.