Saturday, January 17, 2009

Spiritual Disciplines

As a general rule, I'm not very disciplined. It's not that I don't have it in me...but I'm usually just too lazy to care.
When I was in school I would wait til the last minute to work on a paper or study for a test. I did well (mostly A's & B's) but I just did what I had to do to get by.
My apartment doesn't get cleaned on a regular basis, mainly just when I'm tired of the clutter and about to go out of my mind.
Even my spiritual life has lacked discipline. I confess that I don't spend the time with the Lord that I know I need to on a daily basis. Again, it's not that I don't know I need to or understand what I'll get out of it, it's just that I let other things (mostly laziness) get in my way.
Our Care Group is doing a study on Spiritual Disciplines this semester. The guys are meeting together and then the girls are meeting together. I am learning more and more about the importance of being disciplined in my spiritual life.
This week we discussed Bible intake. Basically, reading the Bible daily and knowing what is in the Bible, as well as memorizing and meditating on particular Scripture and then applying it to our lives. This is the place where I most struggle. I have realized that when I'm not reading the Word, then I feel guilty and stop praying and then a vicious cycle begins. So, this week I have committed to reading through the Psalms (by reading 4 chapters a day). I am working on memorizing and meditating on the first 3 verses of Psalm 1.
What about you? What Spiritual disciplines do you struggle with and what are you doing about it?

1 comment:

"The Edge" said...

Good stuff here. I think we all get into the spiritual void zone often enough. A wise man once told me, when certain aspects of your spiritual life are not going well, LEAN on the parts that are working. Let them bring you back around. You'll remember what you were missing soon enough. This piece of advice has served me well through the years. One other thing - give your self permission to just sit at His feet and soak in the glory from time to time. We all need it! We can't all be Mary's...some of us are Martha's....and still others of us are like Lazarus - at one poinr we look dead, until our Savior calls us and says "Come Forth!"